Friday, October 12, 2007

Here comes the bride, J.D.

The Thursday edition of the local paper features what used to be called the "Society" pages (earlier version: the "Women's Section")--wedding announcements, anniversary celebration stories, that sort of thing. I always read them, especially the wedding ones. I don't know why I'm so interested. I don't know the couples, and I was in a wedding once (my own) and am not looking for ideas for another one. They're just these little slices of people's lives, and you can sometimes figure out what's important to them from what's included. For instance, yesterday's paper featured an attorney couple who apparently were so proud of their law degrees that they had "J.D." appended to each of their names. I suppose it's possible it was not the bride, herself, but her mother who was so eager to have her daughter's status (and that of her new son-in-law) highlighted front and center, but I think Miss Manners would disapprove. The reception was pretty lavish, though; the bride and groom sat at a 25-foot-long table (called, for some reason, the "King's Table") decorated with an equally long floral swag and a 6-ft. curly willow arragement, so maybe those not-so-discreet references to the couple's professions will bring in the money to pay the bill.

No comments: