Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Speechless

I'm not much of a TV watcher. If you don't count baseball games, I've probably seen fewer than 100 hours of it all year. But I have been following the writers' strike. I occasionally write for pay. Once it's out there, in the world, it can kind of get away from you; no telling who's xeroxing it, or using it whole cloth in something they're writing. Not that this has happened to me, or at least I have no knowledge of it. But the point is, what I write, what anyone writes, is a singular thing, and wouldn't exist without the brain behind it. So it only seems fair and equitable that writers should share in profits generated when what they've written appears on the Internet, or on a DVD, or is transmitted in any other fashion. Kindergarten was supposed to teach us all to share. Were the studio execs absent that day?

For a look at the writers' take on all this, check out Speechless. Ditto the writers' blog. And if signing petitions is your sort of thing, you can do that here.

No comments: