Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Two anniversaries

Nine years ago today, my son Fred married Jennifer Stewart aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach Harbor. The bride wore Chantilly lace and a tartan sash. The groom and his groomsmen wore full-dress kilts. It was a wonderful wedding of two people who were clearly in love. They still are.

Eight years ago today, I crashed while riding my bicycle in Amador County. When I came to, my first question was, "Is my bike OK?" Then the paramedics showed up and loaded me into a helicopter, at the end of which I threw up. Too bad; it was the only helicopter ride I'll probably ever take, and it wasn't much fun. Diagnosis: five fractured vertebrae and a whole lot of (luckily) superficial road rash. My outfit for the next three months: a cervical collar and a brace thingy that made me resemble a cross between Madonna and a trussed-up turkey. Pictures of this you don't want to see.

No comments: