Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Dem's dilemm

Election day is this coming Tuesday, and I still haven't decided: Barack or Hillary? Hillary or Barack? Lately I've been leaning strongly toward Obama, but tonight, watching the debate between the two, I can make a case to myself for Hillary. I like Obama's vision and what I see as his ability to break with the "same old, same old," but worry whether his inexpeience will make him ineffetive. I admire Hillary's grit and savvy but worry about the specter of renewed Clinton-bashing and resurrection of the old polarization.

So, tomorow night, I'm hosting my own personal Democratic caucus. I've invited several friends over (all Democrats), to discuss both candidates and (I hope) help me make up my mind. Some of them have already voted, some, like me, are still wavering back and forth.

Regardless, though, I sat here tonight watching the two candidates and thought, come November, I'm going to participate in an extraordinary event: cast my ballot for either a woman or an African American for President of the United States. Twenty years ago, even 10 years ago, I wouldn't have believed it could happen. Things really can, and do, change . . . sometimes, even for the better.

1 comment:

The Fevered Brain said...

If you haven't done so, go to http://www.votebyissue.org/election2008/ and take the quiz. This was on the Magpie Nest. I, too, was wavering back and forth, but this helped a bit. Since I voted by absentee from here, my "last minute" was about two weeks ago. Since then I changed my mind, then changed back. Yikes. I'm glad this doesn't happen more than every four years!