Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Yesterday and tomorrow

Riding my bicycle yesterday afternoon, heading west along Rd. 29, came on a big red-tailed hawk at the edge of the opposite side of the road, hunkered down over his lunch of fresh rabbit; above him on the wire, a turkey vulture waited patiently for his turn.

The weatherpeople are forecasting a big storm for tomorrow and Friday. High winds and lots of rain here in the valley, blizzard conditions and snow levels in feet, not inches, in the Sierra. I'm excited at the prospect; we haven't had an honest-to-goodness good storm in a long time. But I'm not holding my breath; more and more it seems that forecasts of big weather turn out less so in the actual event. But maybe this time I'll get lucky.

Do hawks hunt in the rain? Are there any critters out in the rain to be hunted?

No comments: