Thursday, May 22, 2008

Going (sort of) public

I've never been terribly "out there" with this blog, meaning I haven't distributed the URL far and wide. I don't include it in my e-mail signature, for instance, or otherwise refer to it. I shared it with family and a few friends, and if they read it, great. Sometimes they comment on a particular post, and I recognize their names when they appear in the moderation section.

So I was utterly disconcerted when, a couple of days ago, two comments on my Double Century post appeared from two people I don't know and who had read what I wrote without my knowing it. It felt downright Peeping Tom-ish. I guess those two bloggers have some search thing they do to find posts on cycling, as both of their sites have to do with riding, but I'm so unsophisticated in the ways of blogging that I have no idea how that works, or even that there is such a thing.

With the possible exception of a grocery list (and I can make a good argument that a grocery list reveals a lot), writing makes the writer vulnerable. Discovering that I've been read by unknown readers was a reminder of how comfortable it is to be anonymous, and how important it is, sometimes, not to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's always a bit of a double-taker when someone you don't know comes right out of the blue and comments. They probably just googled "Davis Double Century" or something and found you. Look at your stats sometime to see search strings that lead people to your blog: you'll be blown away.

Infield Single said...

I had no idea I have "stats" or "strings." Where are they and how would I check them? Revealing my level of ignorance . . .