Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I scream, you scream . . .

Today's L.A. Times carried the obituary of Irvine Robbins, who, along with his brother-in-law Burton Baskin, founded the Baskin-Robbins 31 Flavors ice cream stores. Nowadays there are lots of specialty ice creams around, featuring plenty of exotic flavors (along with astronomically high fat content), but for me, starting when I was a kid, 31 Flavors (as I've always called it) has remained the definitive ice cream shop. Not only did they have lots of flavors (I was partial to coffee, butterscotch ribbon and lemon custard) but they made ice cream cakes, some of which graced the birthday parties of my two boys.

This evening, I walked down to 31 Flavors in the E Street Plaza to buy a cone and raise it in tribute to Mr. Robbins. When I got there, the place was mobbed, the line stretching out the door. While I'd like to think this crowd was due to everyone having had the same idea as I, I have a feeling it had more to do with the warm evening. Not willing to stand in that line, I walked home coneless. But I'll be back.

1 comment:

The Fevered Brain said...

My favorites were the aforementioned Lemon Custard and Espresso, a rich, strong coffee ice cream that had coffee grounds in it. What a concept! When I make my own coffee ice cream I always throw in some grounds but mine is never as good.