Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

Some things my father gave me:

The enjoyment of baseball, not only the game itself but the things that go with it: the words to "Take Me Out to the Ball Game," the seventh-inning stretch, booing the umpires.

My nickname, "Cuccie," short for Cuccinello, as in Tony Cuccinello (nickname "Cooch"), an infielder with the Chicago White Sox who, while my mother was pregnant with me, made some amazing play or hit a home run or some such feat; said feat played a pivotal role in my father's winning a bet and resulted in his bestowing the nickname on me in utero. I shed it forceably at age 11, which I think hurt my father's feelings greatly.

The ability to play gin rummy, which I haven't played in years. I actually like to play cards, period, and used to do it a lot. Pinochle, anyone?

Brown eyes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forget how to play gin rummy but not cribbage. I also forget how to play pinochle, but I'm the proud owner of a copy of Hoyle, so any time, Cooch...

The Fevered Brain said...

A very nice tribute!