Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Audacity springs eternal

In the nearly one month since I wrote here, both parties have held their conventions, both have nominated their candidates, and Sarah Palin has become the right wing's new best friend. I'm horrified by her, horrified by the possibility that she could actually end up in the White House, appalled and disgusted at the cynicism shown by the McCain people in their cravenness. I've had disturbing dreams since her nomination, wake up feeling a mix of disbelief and dread, something that feels akin to grief.

Some people I know think it's over, that faced with Palin's appeal Obama can't win. But not me. Those feelings of horror, disbelief and dread have galvanized me to do more than just send Obama money. Saturday morning, I worked in the Obama-Biden booth at the farmers' market. Yesterday afternoon, I went to the Democratic headquarters office in Davis, picked up an ironing board, some signs and some voter registration forms, and stood out in front of SaveMart for an hour, asking passsersby if they were registered. I got three takers; the best one being a man of about 35 who told me that this year, he was voting, that always before, it had been "garbage." But not this time; this time, there was hope. And I think so, too.

If you haven't seen this Web site, check it out; reading the words of these women will give you hope, too. We must not be paralyzed.

No comments: