Sunday, April 4, 2010

Now impersonating an actual ballplayer, your AL pitcher!

American League managers have instructed their pitchers to take every pitch when playing in a National League game. "Take" as in "stand there with the bat on your shoulder and watch the ball as it crosses the plate." Whether this is a dictum only for these final Spring Training matchups or, as I fear, something that will endure throughout the season, I don't know. What I do know is that it's a travesty, a mockery of baseball as it should be played, a disrespecting of the AL pitchers who at least at one time were real ballplayers, and why I HATE HATE HATE the whole idea of the "designated hitter." Bah! A pox on all those AL houses. Shame on you.

1 comment:

The Fevered Brain said...

Sounds very similar of current politics to me. "No matter what they put out there, just say "No"." Don't swing at anything. Is this sort of thing becoming a national trend?