Saturday, March 15, 2008

Just how high IS W's S.Q.?

Meaning Stupidity Quotient. In today's New York Times, Gail Collins writes about The Leader of the Free World's talk on Friday to New York's financial community. (N.B.: I think the Free World would like its money back.) Every time I think I can't feel more embarrassed or ashamed of having this nincompoop as the president of my country, Ol' Mr. Glibshit manages yet again to top himself.

The "highlights" of his speech, as pointed out by Collins, are stunning in their failure to convey any sense of urgency, crisis or even awareness of the plight this financial debacle has visited on so many, and with no end in sight. Among the many clumsy and dense "points" he made, my favorite is this one, on what Collins describes as "the nub" of the housing crisis as perceived by Bush: "Problem we have is, a lot of folks aren’t responding to over a million letters sent out to offer them assistance and mortgage counseling.”

Gee, d'ya think maybe that's because those letters came back marked "No longer at this address"?

2 comments:

The Fevered Brain said...

I read this too. A real groaner. Who elected this guy, anyway?? I think candidates should have to have try-outs, and I don't mean with handlers giving signals. Every one of them should have to be grilled, and I mean GRILLED, by Tim Russert or some such dart-thrower. This current guy? He can't even perform with a text in front of him. How many more days? I've been mortified for 8 years.

Infield Single said...

I think it was the Supreme Court, to be followed four years later by wimpy Democrats. As Collins notes, "the country that elected George Bush — sort of — because he seemed like he’d be more fun to have a beer with than Al Gore or John Kerry is really getting its comeuppance." Trouble is, even those of us who didn't cast our ballot for the nincompoop (who in my view is criminally liable for this debacle and a whole lot more) are in the soup right along with his most rabid supporters. We will be a long, long time recovering from his administration. If we ever do.